Saturday 31 May 2014

Immortality For Realz?

Why is it desired for people to have a claim to fame?


It could be something as benign as your reputation in high school, or that you are related to a world-renowned celebrity. But, why is it so important? Why do we need to have that connection to this world of infamy?

The most obvious answer to that question would be that everyone wants to be remembered. I know that I desire to create something so eternal that my name and my legacy will live on throughout time; that will show how truly advanced and complex we actually are as a species when archeologists dig it up millennia from now. I want to create something that will alter our futures for the better; will be deemed one of the most amazing creations of our time; will ultimately alter our universe.

Maybe I’m a little over zealous with my dreams. Or maybe it’s just a curse to those who are more right-brained.

But, honestly, I don’t want to be known as the small-town kid that was third cousins twice removed to a famous celebrity. I don’t want to live in the shadow of someone who made something of themselves. I want to make something of myself. I want to cast my own shadow. I want to be my own claim to fame!


But, aside from that, these connections to the people who have actually done something for themselves could be looked at through a different lens. A lot of people can’t get that fame without support, without the strength of the people who are behind them and lust after the fame of other people. Without these people, we wouldn’t have a lot of the leaders that we have today – whether they’re presidents or the town’s best teen male pianist. Each person started with a small flicker of a dream, and these people have risen to the top with the fuel of the people behind them, pushing them afloat and remaining hidden amidst the shadows of that one person’s fame. Behind each face is a group of people increasing that person’s success with pride and positive energy. There’s something magical about that.

In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with having the desire to be Nicolas Flamel and creating a sort of elixir of life for yourself. However, remember that with great power comes great responsibility. A lot of people idolize you and put their pride in lifting you to the top, so just don’t forget to shine some of your light on your shadow every now and then!


Until next time,


Dillon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments system