Sunday 11 May 2014

Honouring You by Honouring My Life

                One is never over dressed. And when one puts a lot of thought into what they want to wear because they want to look good for whatever reason they are dressing up, they are showing that this event is important to them. That this event proves high respect and honour. At least that’s what I thought the day my mom came out in this beautiful black flowing summer dress with cute green polka-dots for the day I graduated from high school. Her dress matched the colours of my suit perfectly, which she had planned ever so meticulously. She took just as much pride, maybe more, in that day as I did. I almost wish she could have been the arm I leaned on when I walked down the aisle to get my diploma that day. She was the one that never let me give up throughout high school after all.
                I don’t mean that academically. I did well on my own with the school work. But there were times when I didn’t have the support from my peers that I may have needed to proceed. There were times when I was not happy with the progress I was making in piano lessons – which was the only thing I was really successful at. There were times when my expectations were simply too high for myself, and nothing I did ever really seemed to achieve those expectations. But, my mom was always there to lift me up the rest of the way. Every time she signs her name with love reminds me of this.


                “Be careful with your hands, they’re your future,” she said when I was barbecuing and I burned my fingers one day. I never really realized how much those words have affected me. My hands are my greatest weapon: they write, they paint, they draw, they make music, they speak for me when my voice fails. She was one of the first ones to acknowledge that I wasn’t going to be the manly man that people expected me to be, especially being the oldest boy in the family. She encouraged my artistic growth; taught me how to match colours with my clothes; would provide me with crayons, paint, canvases; would make sure that I practiced piano until practicing became a natural part of my routine. This polished my synesthetic way of thinking, a way of thinking that I found out is rare and according to one of my music instructors, it is a gift. She was the only one who knew how to give me constructive criticism without hurting my feelings. She showed me what commitment looks like, and how sticking with something shows its rewards in the end.
                As I danced with my mom after sitting up on that emotional stage of freedom, it was then that I realized I was graduated. I was grown up. I finally made it. I looked down to my mom, but couldn’t look her in the eyes. I knew that the moment I did I would burst into tears – but, my mom had this way of showing her love without doing anything. She knew that I would cry if we made eye contact or even spoke a word, so we just danced. She danced with me for a whole song with no complaints and no early-quitting. That was enough for me to know that she was proud of me, that she thought I deserved that moment where it was just her and I. That is a gift that I will never forget. Coming from a family with two other siblings, my parents had to divvy up their attention between the three of us, so it was important that we were allotted special time with our parents. At least to me it was.
                I could talk about all of the good things my mom is forever. I could tell you that her smile warms me on the coldest nights, that her hugs almost bring me to tears, and that her laughter makes me almost explode with happiness. I could tell you that her strength is what keeps me strong, and the moment I see her tears I want to save her from whatever upsets her. I could tell you that I strive to always make sure that my mother is proud of me and that if I ever had to choose, I would choose the route that I know would make my mother happy. My mom is more of a savior than any religious figure to me; she has taught me more morals than any book or preacher.
                I’m glad that I have the mom that I do. I know other people recognize how lucky I am to have such a mom. She is probably going to laugh at me for writing such a sappy post about her, but it’s really the truth and it’s just not the same to joke about it anymore.
                I’ve written my mom poems, I’ve written her a short story, I’ve painted her pictures, I’ve bought her flowers, trees, I’ve built her a whole garden, and I have yet to still prove my immense love and appreciation for her. She has sacrificed so much for me and my siblings to have the lives that we have, and there is nothing that I can do, say, or create that will ever show how much I love her.
                Now, I make sure that I am dressed well to show that I respect and honour the life that my mother has given me. Though clothes are a simple item to most people, it makes a difference to me. I want people to look at me and say that my mother raised a good kid. Because if I can do anything it would be to prove to my mom that it was worth all of the hard work she did over the years to make me the man that I am today. 

Mom, I love you and Happy Mother’s Day.

Until next time,

Dillon


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments system