Friday 22 August 2014

This challenge was hard. / Writing haiku poems should be / easy. Not for me.

It seems the challenge blog was actually was quite a challenge - especially for me. If you haven't noticed or caught on, however, it seems that pretty much everything (this blog included) is a bit of a challenge for me. 

For our challenge blogs Dillon very creatively challenged me to take photos each day for the rest of the week and write an accompanying Haiku poem for each photo. He felt this would be a good way for me to work on a little bit more writing, as in case you haven't noticed, I've been the worst out the three of us in this blogging adventure. Let's just say I'm happy he chose Haiku's and not frigging Sonnets because three lines and 17 syllables was challenging enough, let me tell you!!

This is the definition of a Haiku, according to the Google!
 
"hai·ku
ˈhīˌko͞o,ˌhīˈko͞o/
noun
noun: haiku; plural noun: haikus; plural noun: haiku
a Japanese poem of seventeen syllables, in three lines of five, seven, and five, traditionally evoking images of the natural world."
 
 
Not included in this definition is the mention of juxtaposition which Dillon also challenged me into doing. For those of you unfamiliar with what that means, it basically means placing two contrasting ideas next to each other. So usually what this means with a Haiku is that you need to break up the lines somehow and provide the poem with two different thoughts. I think I did my best with that? You'll have to be the judge. Or maybe Dillon can - he is the teach after-all!
 
 So, without further ado, I will let you see what I have created!
 
 
 
The bird sings a song
to welcome the shining sun.
Moonlight guitar strum.


 
Motionless today
Waiting to swing life away.
The skies the limit.


 
Blazing fire, cold ice
Tingle the senses tonight.
Tomorrow can wait. 


 
Awake the morning.
Granddaddies’ strokes of colour
decorate the day.
 

 
Fresh catch of the day.
Brothers, friends, enjoy summer
nights while they still can.
 

Sunny clear blue skies
Water. Crisp, cool, shimmering.
Summer dwindles on.

There you have it, folks! Those are my Haiku's. I think Dillon was expecting me to stick with my usual comic route as he stated in his challenge that he thought what I would come up with would be hilarious and entertaining (this is not an actual quote as he challenged me this like a month ago and I don't exactly remember what he said). I decided to stick to the typical nature-esque form of the Haiku and write about things that I truly enjoy, take for granted, and mean something to me. I hope that you can get that from the poems. 
I considered writing a little bit about what each photo and poem meant, but I think poetry is best left for the reader to interpret. Perhaps I'll write another blog about that one day.
But with this blog coming to an end I have two confessions:
1) Dillon - I cheated. Although I did take photos (almost) every day for the week I only used two of them. I wasn't happy with the others/suck and used earlier photos and ones that were taken later.
2) The last haiku was not written by me. It was written, however, by a darling friend of mine, Kimberley!! I told her at work this morning I had totally sucked at my blog and conned her into writing one for me. Thank a bunch, Kim!! I am most definitely excited to have you featured on my entry this week.
What do you guys think of the poems?? I hope you like them!! Be sure to check out Dillon and Jazmin's challenge blogs, as well. Dillon had to wear only 6 articles of clothing for the week and Jazmin had to eat food that only she prepared (this seems absurd but the girl literally lives off taquitos and Lunchables) ! Both are fabulous entries with delightful, and delicious pictures to accompany them!!
Until next time,
xoxo, Cale
The Sassy Friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments system