Saturday 19 April 2014

The Case of the Phantom Farter

Public bathrooms are a place of misery, disgust, vulnerability, and hilarity.

                I have seen, heard, and smelled it all in the public bathrooms of our world. They make me utterly nervous and I will sometimes avoid it at all costs depending on my location. However, sometimes I have never ending laughs in the public bathrooms. For example, when one partakes in flatulence while perched on the porcelain, I will be sitting down the row in a stall trying my hardest not to let my laughter be heard. I almost get a hernia. I come out of the stall sweating from the hard labor of holding in my laughter that people give me strange glances because it looks like I just gave birth or something. But why do we have to hide it, both farting and the happiness it creates?

               
  I’ll tell you a story of a friend that I know:
During his day at school, this friend was having a stomach ache and found that the cure was to make a trip to the little boys’ room. School was out and not many people were around so he figured that in an effort to avoid embarrassment with the task he was about to execute, the public bathroom at the school would do just fine. Cheeks clenched, he got to the bathroom and to his dismay found that there was another participant locked away behind the not-so-private stall door. But it was much too late to turn around and go to the other bathroom miles away, so he stumbled to an empty stall and undid his pants and found that the stomach ache was caused by a ton of pent-up gas from the day of holding it in public. Thinking it was something else, he tried to relieve himself but found that noise was happening. It kept happening, and happening, and nothing could stop him. The horror on his face at the thought of what the other fellow might be thinking was outstanding. He finally finished and started silently laughing, because what else can one do? As he was laughing, he heard a roar in the toilet of the other fellow. A sound so loud and so magnificent, it had to be a lion. It was uninterrupted and perfectly poignant, and that’s when my friend realized it was the fellow’s flatulence.
My friend continued to silently laugh, but harder, and so much so that there were tears coming down from his eyes. The other fellow flushed and managed to exit the bathroom without a word. My friend regrets not getting to see who this fellow was, this noble and rare creature. Alas, there is an unwritten rule of leaving the stalls at staggered times as to not have to make eye-contact with people you have shared a poop with. Was this fellow trying to console my friend from the accidental embarrassing moment he had? Or was he trying to compete with my friend’s outrageously long and ridiculous gas? One will never know.


If all people reacted as the fellow did in the bathroom, then wouldn’t our world be a much happier place? Instead of judging people with disgust at accidental vulgar moments, why not just give them some comfort in knowing that they are not the only one. That other people have been caught with their flies down, and other people have been caught with snot dripping from their nose. It happens, and it is really nothing to be ashamed of. It has nothing to do with your character, nor should you be treated in a way that it might. There’s something to be said about people who do stuff like that, they’re the people who will shave their heads to make people going through chemo treatments more comfortable, among many other wonderful things. We can stand to use more phantom farters in the world.


Until next time,


Dillon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments system