Sunday 9 March 2014

Memory Lane

My life was being fueled by my love affair with travelling that I had just experienced for the first time. It was like I was born again, seeing the world through a totally different lens. In my excitement, I became infatuated with a girl and we started to date. Looking back I can’t believe that relationship ever happened since I was thoroughly free-spirited, and she was rather traditional. Needless to say, I broke her heart because my appetite for the grandiose was over-powering. It seems strange to say that I had such an appetite as I rarely showed it, but I dreamed about it a lot. I broke off the relationship because my opportunity for a grandiose new life was approaching as I was soon going to be going to University. I was already almost a full year out of high school and it was soon time to get back to the grind in a more sophisticated way. But, I would never shake these longings for travelling and hopelessly romantic endeavours. Luckily, both of those prospects have happened to me in a sense, and I can die a happy man. (But, really, I am not even close to being done travelling, and I think Marley would be really displeased if I just stopped being hopelessly romantic)
                But, to be honest, I have grown more in the past four years than I have my whole life. Specifically speaking, I can grow about six facial hairs now rather than two, I can cook a beef roast, and I have finally gotten the balls to call the internet people to set up the internet under my name all on my own! Next step: growing my own full vegetable/flower garden! Maybe I’ll be able to arm knit a blanket soon too! I’ve really come a long way from four years ago!
                Maybe I should stop growing because it sounds like I’ve skipped life and just became an old lady. Although I’d like to argue that fact, I simply can’t. I am an old lady. Most people my age know the street names for drugs – I know the street names of different plants.
                But on a more serious note, I feel like I am really coming into my own self, I am not afraid to admit that I am an artsy-fartsy gentle man. I also appreciate the more hippie-esque values of life, such as environmentalism. My writing has improved immensely, which seems ridiculous from reading some of my blogs; but I mean I wrote a journal entry when I was 11 about a pedophile that lived on the same street as the public swimming pool.


Reads: "Dear Book, Am I ever glad school is over. Now we can go swimming in the pool. Tomorrow we are going swimming. My mom said we should stay on the right side of the big hill that leads to the pool because there is a guy tht has fun with kids. Sincerely, Dillon P."
                Actually, I don’t think I’ll ever be able to top that journal entry – or as I liked to call it when I was 11: book entry.
                Though I went farther back than four years, those four years have really been the best four years of my life, and without them I would not have met such beautiful people as my co-writers Jazmin and Cale. Nor would I have met Marley. And the people that I have met seem much more important to me than the personal growth I have experienced, and this is because they are the people that have encouraged me to grow the most. I would not have grown without them. And I will be forever grateful for that.

Sincerely,


Dillon P.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments system