Saturday 8 February 2014

It Could've Been Handled MUCH Better



What is it that irks you?

I’m going to be lame and say that very few things really bother me to the cringe-worthy, red-fuming temperament that a lot of people get with certain pet-peeves. I think that I have too much empathy and thus I spend too much time concerning myself with the context behind pet-peeve-like situations.
Don’t get me wrong, I have moments of utter anger (usually when I’m driving or when my brother is picking on me), but within two minutes I feel really guilty because I know that I was probably in the other person’s shoes once upon a time and I should not judge them. Judging them would make me a hypocrite, and I would rather not be one of those. 

Say, for instance, I am driving and I’m cut off by another driver – I get mad because I have this preconceived notion (that I believe a lot of people have) where the smoothness of my day is more important than the other person’s. I ask them, probably aloud in my car, “Why couldn’t you have waited?!” Then I evaluate the situation – was there a huge line-up of cars behind me so they would have to wait a long time? Does it really affect my day that much to slow down a little bit and have my heart pumping? Am I hurt at all? No. But most people seem to focus on the what ifs. I just don’t focus on that in these situations, and that person is just as qualified for a smooth day as I am. For the most part...

However, there are occasions where I absolutely do not tolerate people’s behaviours. This is where customer service has been a hindrance on my views of humankind. Though my girlfriend tends to disagree, I believe I was raised in a family that practiced good manners – especially in public settings – and some people just don’t have that whatsoever. For example, I worked at the local gas station in my home town and there was a public washroom in the station. For some reason people assumed you needed a key for this washroom door. There was no key. If the door was locked, just like most washroom doors, it was occupied. I understand that a lot of gas station washrooms do require keys, but there was no indication of such at this particular station (in fact, we put up a sign specifying there was no key needed). So, when I was working at the cash register people would come up and they wouldn’t ask for a key to use the washroom. You read it right; they would NOT ask for a key. They would simply get my attention – while busily ringing people through – and rudely gesture a key motion at me as if I should know what they’re talking about. Albeit, I did know what they were talking about, but we are civilized humans that use a wonderful thing called language. Because this made me so mad, I would pretend that I didn’t know what they were talking about and make them voice what they were requesting. Most times it often led to angry conversations and name-calling on their part. For some reason it gave me a weird satisfaction to make them mad, but none of them ever learned their lesson. There must have been a better way to handle that, but it downright pissed me off, so I didn’t care.

Essentially, it’s the uncalled for rude situations that really set me off, usually they could have been handled a lot better – if only people would think about how other people would react before they execute certain communications. I definitely have moments like this too, and that irks me more than anything. But, you live and learn I guess. And I will have to expect that there will always be people that piss me off. 

Until next time,

Dillon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments system