Monday 21 March 2016

the unplugged vacation

*Disclaimer - I was drunk when I wrote this.

It's funny how we find it so hard to experience the world unattached from our cell phones and technology.

I recently went on an all-inclusive vacation with my mom, who you could also refer to as my best friend for technicality purposes. Or better yet, Val, which is what I like to call her. It's hard to consider an all-inclusive vacation as a trip that is completely segregated from the world around
you - I mean you're at a resort with people from all over the world, you have unlimited wifi (in most places, these days), you're drinking and eating endlessly all while being catered to around the clock. It's a week of luxury, really: unsegregated luxury. Although it's beyond relaxing relaxing, it seems almost impossible to take an absolute leave of absence from the world.



When I packed my bag I brought along all of the essentials: clothing to cover all of my bases and weather situations,  toiletries, money, my passport, a couple books, my lap top, my cell phone...Wait... My lap top? My cell phone?

I understand that cell phones are the most convenient way to keep in touch with loved ones back home. They are one of the best ways to send a quick message just to let someone know you've arrived safe, you're healthy, etc, but how is it possible to take a real break from life when your main source to the world you are vacationing from is attached to your hip?

Last year I went to the Dominican Republic to a much smaller resort; one where WiFi wasn't available unless I paid out of my ass for it. It was available for free in a small area of the resort, but it was hard to connect to or find. I remember feeling so frustrated trying to connect to send a few facebook messages, check my Instagram and find out what celebrity scandal had happened that I wasn't able to hear about instantly back home. I spent so much time out of the hot afternoon sun under the covered theatre area trying desperately to connect. Looking back on it now I feel like I missed so many opportunities. I was convinced that anything happening in the "real" world would dissipate into the oblivion and I would never hear about it again unless I connected to the internet and found out about it instantly.

This year when we arrived to our gorgeous resort in Huatulco I, obviously, grabbed my phone and searched for whatever WiFi capability I had. Refresh. Close. Refresh. Close. Connect. Disconnect. Restart. Connect. Refresh. I did whatever I could to find a connection.

I eventually found a connection and loved my unlimited capability to reach the outside world. I could message anyone,  I could see what my favorite Instagrammer had for breakfast, I kept up with my work group message, and I knew whatever bullshit TMZ posted about Taylor Swift. It was amazing.

Until I found myself sun bathing the next day with my phone attached to my hip, not enjoying my surroundings, the serenity (bottomless alcohol), sound of the ocean (because I obviously had spotify playing), or the action happening in the pool. Honestly, you'd be surprised to hear the drama I heard from the two 60 year old women who floated laps together around the entire perimeter of the main infinity pool all day long (I missed it the first day but I made sure to tune in for my daily Soap Operas for the rest of the week).



After I had reviewed a few too many work group chats, read messages I'd received and news stories that irritated me I wondered what I was doing. I only have this one week all year to not care about anything. I have booked myself away from life for one week and one week only... Why should I care what's happening back home, in Hollywood, or at work? It finally dawned on me that I was
on vacation. The people who needed to know most knew I was there safe and sound, happy, and enjoying the sun. What more did they need? What more did I need from them?



I decided to disconnect my WiFi for the duration of the rest of the trip. I kept my phone on my to take the occasional photo and would connect in the evening just to send a quick hello to those who needed it, but aside from that, I kept my phone off.

I enjoyed the sunrise, I watched the sun set. I had conversation with my mother in the evening over dinner and wine. I met beautiful people and built relationships I will never forget. I taught others
about my passions and learned more about the world of others. I experienced
the beautiful country through the eyes of whom it meant the most. I smiled as I let go of worries and felt ease in my mind. There was nothing happening outside of the resort that was more important than me rejuvinating and recharging my mind, body and soul... with copious amounts of Don Julio. I remember coming home last year and wishing I would've built a few more relationships while
I was there and really crack out of my shell and get to know people. Well, this year, I definitely did that. People are much more approachable when they don't have a cell phone glued to their face apparently.



I return home today and find myself using my cell phone and computer even less. There was a time in my life where I was scrolling through social media endlessly, spending hours online watching YouTube videos, endlessly wrapped up in the world of others. Well news flash: your life will go on if I don't text you back in 3 seconds flat and my world will not end if I don't see what nail color Joey Graceffa has right this second. Take time for yourself. Your thoughts are the best
things you have. Spend time with people in a disconnected state. Don't worry if you accidentally leave your phone behind for an hour. Honestly, you're probably better off without it anyways.

And if that's too much for you, take it from me: at least when you go on a holiday, unplug yourself from the world. Take a REAL vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments system